Sunday, August 23, 2015

Pole Pole

(This post is basically just about my closing thoughts about my trip.)

I have officially been bake in the States for a week. In some ways, it has felt like I never even left. But, on the other hand, it also felt like I spent a lifetime in Tanzania. Assimilating back into American culture was a lot easier than I had expected it to be (it wasn't too difficult to go back to drink iced capps from Tim Horton's, though!)

Perhaps it's because I started moving into my house on campus right away or that I've already started working. I guess I haven't really given myself a chance to process all that has happened. It sort of started registering with me the other night, which resulted in me crying at my dining room table. Going to Tanzania for a month was something monumental for me and, I think, I've been acting very nonchalant about it.

I think this experience is something that will be a part of me for the rest of my life. I learned a lot over there, both about Tanzanian wildlife and myself. I think what will stick with me the most is the phrase, "pole pole." Pole pole just means "slowly, slowly" and is mainly used when talking about "Tanzanian time." It is a well-known fact in Tanzania that the people move on their own time and just because you have something scheduled at 2:00 pm, it doesn't necessarily mean it will start at 2:00 pm.

This idea was presented to us on the first day to remind us that we need to be able to adapt to any situation. Pole pole really stuck with me because often I have my mind set on something and when something comes up to deter my plan, I get frustrated. I think it's a good reminder that sometimes I need to slow down and enjoy life. It also reminds me that I can't let small things get the best of me, and that if I can accept that and adapt in response, then everything will be okay.

Another (very) important lesson I learned is that you should listen to the safety advice your mom  gives you and be more aware of your surroundings and personal safety when abroad. Unlucky events can and will happen to anyone, including me. Whether my phone was lost or stolen, my actions (or lack of actions) caused its disappearance, and next time I'll know how to secure my personal belongings better and just be, overall, more prepared when traveling.


The safari back home was a long one--it took at least 30+ hours to get from Rhotia, Tanzania to Columbus, Ohio. Though it was long, it was a lot easier than the safari to Tanzania. I think it was a mix of knowing what to expect from the plane rides and that I had 20 friends traveling with me that made it all a little easier. I didn't sleep much, but I watched 6 movies between all of my flights, so I say it was an overall success!

My stomach is slowly getting used to protein and dairy again, I know only have to worry about my shower being too hot, and  I haven't driven on the left side of the road (yet, anyways)! But, I miss the chilly mornings (I had forgotten how humid Ohio gets in the late summer), the colorful sunsets, and (of course) the passion fanta!

I don't want to forget the small things about Tanzania but I also want to be present in my life here in America. Sometimes I think that I have nothing left to look forward to now (I had about 9 months to obsess over Tanzania), but I just moved into my first house, I turn 21 in a few weeks, and I'm beginning my third (I honestly can't believe it) year of college, so I think I still have some exciting things ahead of me! I think it will just be a matter of accepting that my journey is over, though I'll never forget it, and that more new and exciting adventures await me here.


Here's the part where I post more pictures. I know I didn't post many pictures while I was away, but I have excellent wifi now so I thought I'd post random pictures that you guys didn't get the chance to see:

The view from Moyo Hill 
This is what the gate to camp looked like 
This was the inside of my band (I don't miss the mosquito net)
This is what my classroom looked like 
The class in front of the gates to Serengeti National Park


Hopefully this video (from the Hadzabe tribe) works now! 
Me (right) and my banda mate (left) with some Maasai women 
I didn't get an O-H-I-O pic with a giraffe, but I did get one with the sun setting over the Serengeti plains 


Olduvai Gorge. We stopped here on the way back from the Serengeti. It is known as the cradle for mankind because the first pieces of evidence for human evolution were found here. 
Some elephants because why not?


Me and Lily on a game drive in the Serengeti
Me (left) presenting my second RAP (plus Zach, Harry, Devra, Virginia, and CoCo)
The ladies of Moyo Hill Camp 
Me and Courtney with an elephant outside of a grocery store in Arusha 

I want to say one last thank you to those of you who have followed/supported me throughout this journey. I'm eternally thankful.

Baadaye,
Abby 

No comments:

Post a Comment