Thursday, May 21, 2015

Dada vs. Baba

Wow. It's been a while since I've posted! Ochem kind of took over my life, but (thankfully) I am done!

Here is what has happened since March (not much):

-I'm slowly chipping away at buying all my supplies. Everything from electrical adaptors to sleeping bags! 
-I'm also slowly chipping away at getting all my shots. Unless you have 500 extra dollars laying around, don't get Yellow Fever and Typhoid immunizations unless you really need them! (side note: malaria pills are surprisingly inexpensive)
  *The rabies immunization has been giving me trouble, it is extremely expensive and no one seems to know where I can go to get it.
-Finally began learning Swahili! It really isn't that hard. Most of the pronunciations are the same as they are in English (at least in the case of consonants). There are just a few weird pronunciations that, as a native English speaker, are heard to force your tongue and throat to produce, but I'm getting there.
   *Here are a few of my favorite words/phrases so far:
    -kiti (pronounced keetee like a kitty): chair 
    -Habari za safari?: How was your journey? (it kinda just rolls off your tongue)
    -dada (imagine a child is saying it): sister (and of course, baba is father) 
    -Mmarekani (pronounced merry-kanee): American 

That's all I have for now! Only 51 more days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment