Saturday, July 25, 2015

Christmas in July

Visiting the Maasai bomas was very interesting. As soon as my group got to our boma, the men and women started singing and dancing. They separated the guys from the girls and gave the girls big necklaces to wear, while the guys got wooden staffs. We probably danced for 15 minutes or so. Though I couldn't understand the words to the song and had to be lead around by the mama holding my hand, it was very fun! After the singing and dancing, they showed us inside their huts. The huts are very small and dark, and there is really only enough room for beds. Next, they showed us how they milk their cows. The Maasai are known to drink cow blood, so they shot a cow in the neck (it is still alive!) so that they could get some of its blood. Next, they showed us how they build their huts. First they make a frame out of branches from trees and then they insulate it with a mixture of cow dung, dirt, and water! We then had a chance to ask them questions. My question was how they charge their phones because everyone in Tanzania has cell phones, even tribe members, but electricity isn't everywhere. It turns out they go to Mtu wa Mbu and pay a small fee to charge their phones. The Maasai then had a chance to ask us questions. They wanted to know where we were from and if we were all related! Finally, the mamas laid out their jewelry and some of us bought some (guilty).

When we got back to camp, we had lunch and all of us shared our experience. We all went to three different bomas and each visit was unique in its own way. Next was the goat slaughter so I promptly left camp to go to the tailor's! My dress wasn't ready because he lost electricity for awhile, but we went to the duka next door and I got a passionfruit fanta (our duka has run out of them!) Passionfruit fanta is super delicious and I wish it was something that we sold in the States. Defintely going to be something I miss when I leave.

Dinner, of course, was a special occassion because of the goat and it was one of the student's birthdays. Birthdays aren't really that big of a deal here, but they have a really cool way of brining out the cake. We basically start as a conga line and there is a lot of jumping (my legs were super sore) and there's singing, but I wasn't entirely sure what was being sung. My banda mate's birthday is in August so I can't wait to do it again for her birthday!

Today we drove to Karatu (which was the first time for many of the second session students) and learned about soil management. We practiced making contours on some farmland and it turns out the marks we made will actually be used by the owners of the land so that they can prevent soil erosion. It was nice to actually be able to help!

Later today, most of us are going back to Karatu because a big, monthly market is going on. I'm in the market for some fabric that has elephants on it so I'm excited to go! Hopefully by now I'll be used to being a mzungo!

Today is also Christmas (Krismasi) in July here at camp. We are doing a secret santa after dinner and we will have a bonfire! It was a really good idea by one of the students and we are all pretty excited for it.

Kwaheri na Likizo Furaha! (Bye and Happy Holidays!)

No comments:

Post a Comment