Thursday, July 23, 2015

Elephants and Monkeys and Goats, Oh My!

We have had a very busy week here at Moyo Hill Camp! On Monday, we went to a village nearby called Kilimatembo (Elephant Hill)! We split into groups and went on what is called a transect walk. During our walk, we wrote down everything we saw, which was mostly farmland. We also talked to a few of the farmers and asked them what they grew, why the chose to grow it, and what sort of problems they faced. I didn't expect to learn about agriculture while I was here, but it was very interesting. One of the farmers wanted to ask us questions before we could ask him any. He wanted to know we were here in Tanzania, what we were studying, and what we hoped to accomplish while we were here. I think that he thought we were truly there to help, but in reality we were only there for an assignment. I wish we could help, but as students, we don't have the time, money, or resources to be able to make a difference (though I wish we could).

Side note: I went to town after lunch and picked up my pants. They are super cute and I can definitely see myself wearing them all the time! I also bought some nutella, which is probably my best purchase since being in Africa!

On Tuesday we went back out to Maasai land to identify different vegetation. It was a lot like our poop assignment, except I didn't have to touch any poop! Again, we had a Maasai person walk with us to help identify the different trees. He told us their Maasai names and what use the trees were to them. Mostly they were used as fencing or building material. They had a lot of date trees, so they ate the fruit, and they had a couple trees where they used the bark as a cure to sickness. They really had a use for every part of the tree so that it didn't go to waste. It was very hot and dusty out on the plains and I think brought back more dirt with me to camp!

Yesterday we drove 2 hours away to Tarangire National Park, a park that boasts having the highest concentration of elephants per square kilometer than any other place in the world! So you could say I was very excited for the trip. The park definitely didn't disappoint! I think we saw our first elephant within the hour. It was a lone female and she was shaking the tree she was at.


I don't know why she was doing it, but it was pretty cute. We saw a lot of animals (giraffes, vervet monkeys, zebras, wildebeests, a black momba, and a quick glance at some lionnesses from far away!) but mostly my pictures were of elephants! I don't regret anything. Here are some of my favorites:





I didn't have the chance to get a good picture of a baby! The tall grasses usually hid them so I'm glad you can at least kind of tell that one of the elephants is a baby in the last picture!

We had lunch at a picnic site, but the place was surrounded by vervet monkeys trying to steal food!
One stole a banana right out one of my classmate's hand. Another stole a sandwich in a plastic bag from another classmate. And then another stole another banana! These monkeys have no fear. One jumped over me as I was trying to take a picture:


The monkeys are such a nussiance, that sometime you have to throw rocks in their direction to get them to stay away. But one guy went as far as chasing a monkey, even after it was already running away, down to throw rocks directly at it. There always has to be one ignorant person wherever you go. His family was basically asking for it: they were chopping up fresh fruit in the middle of a national park. Of course it would attract monkeys. It was one of those times where I definitely preferred animals to humans.

We have a paper due tonight so most of us were working on it last night when we got home. We all gathered into the dining hall and tried our best to get something done. Luckily I was finished, I was just trying to edit my paper, but most people were just starting theirs. We are really are college kids, waiting until the last minute to get something done. In their defense, it doesn't feel like we're at school here. There are too many fun things to do!

Today we had another game drive at Manyara Ranch. But it wasn't nearly as exciting as Tarangire was. I think the most exciting thing that happened at the ranch was the fact that we saw a cow with massive horns:



We were there for about two and a half hours and then we left. On our way back, we stopped off at a Maasai market (not the same one we went to on Sunday). As soon as we got out of the car, people were trailing us, trying to sell us jewelry and shirts and fabric. One woman actually started putting bracelets on my arm! I understand that they are trying to earn a living, but after saying hapana asante (no thanks) ten times, you would think they would get the picture. I think what bothers me is that they would never do that to a local person. But because of the fact that I'm a mzungo (foreigner), they think it is okay to harass me. Like one guy kept following us around the market. At first it is nice to have the attention, but after awhile, it really starts to get annoying!

Overall though, Tanzanians are super friendly. It just so happens that the vendors are the most annoying!

Tomorrow we are going to learn more about Maasai culture and actually get to visit some Maasai families at their bomas (villages). When we get back to camp, there is supposed to be a traditional goat slaughter. Living in America has allowed me to be very removed from the meat industry, and as much I understand the importance of such a sacrifice to Tazanians (eating meat is very rare for them), I do not think I will be staying around for it. My banda mate said she was there when they did it last month and told me that the sound was the worst part and had to leave. So I think during that time, I'm going to go to town and pick up my dress I had the tailor make for me.

We see so many goats and cows on the road when we drive, and I just don't think I can watch one die. I always thought goats were kinda bleh before coming here, but now I think they are so cute and I kinda want one!

Here's to another eventful day in Tanzania!

Kwaheri!

No comments:

Post a Comment