Thursday, July 9, 2015

And Then There Were Two and a Half (Days)

Today is July 9th. It's 76 degrees, cloudy and rainy (big surprise for us Ohioans).  

Today is July 9th, which means tomorrow is the 10th. July 10th means I have to start taking my malaria medication. Beginning my malaria medication means that there are only 2 more days until I leave...

aldfadlfja'djfjgdsfdklfjal;df (imagine that's me internally screaming because that's what I've been doing the past week). 

At this point, fear, anxiety, panic, and a whole host of other negative emotions have taken over my current state of mind. I had thought that I had already accepted and understood the gravity of this experience I'm about to embark on. But I guess I haven't, because it's currently crushing me like an avalanche. 

I'm hoping that when I finally on a plane and we're taking off is when a wave of calmness will wash over me.  

To keep myself distracted, I've been practicing my Swahili, reading Game of Thrones, watching House, and obsessively packing and repacking (and repacking) my suitcases to make sure that I meet the weight limit. 

I honestly thinking the packing has been the most stressful part of this journey. I have been asked to bring a lot of (heavy and space-consuming) supplies with me, and unless I want to pay an extra 160 dollars to check another bag, I cannot exceed 50.5 lbs in luggage (mizigo). Talk about a real challenge. I'll basically be wearing the same five outfits and will only have a travel sized hairbrush. But hey, I guess it could be worse. 

I'm very much looking forward to the sun and warmth and dry heat that Tanzania has been promising me as opposed to the clouds and cold and humidity that has ruthlessly oppressed Ohio all summer. 

Here's to hoping that I finally get to experience beautiful weather in couple of days! 

Kwaheri and 2 more days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment