Wednesday, June 10, 2015

She's Making a List, She's Checking It Twice

I find myself, when I don't want to read or watch Netflix or flit between social media websites, making lists of the things I still need to buy for Tanzania. I also make lists of what to pack, in which suitcase to pack it, and how much/many of it/them I need to pack. I'm constantly refining these lists. Meticulously checking things off while, still, adding on new things that I have just thought of that I'll absolutely need when I'm over there.

I am a Virgo. A Virgo is are nothing if not organized.

I am nearing the one month mark to my departure date and I still feel like there are a million more things that I need to buy. Among that list are:

  • One ream of printer paper (I guess my tuition doesn't cover this)
  • A mouthpiece replacement for my Camelbak water bottle (aka my new chew toy)
  • Multi-chambered tupperware (very practical)  
  • Pretzel M&M's, SourPatch Kids, and Flaming Hot Cheetos (the essential snacks)
  • Cargo pants (I will be the envy of all my friends) 

(Sidenote: Don't take me down the travel aisles at Target or Walmart. I feel the need to buy every little bottle, even if it's men's deodorant.) 

One of the hardest thing about traveling to East Africa (I think anyways) is the packing and preparation for it. There won't be Targets and Walmarts just around the corner to run to in case I forget something. I have had to sit down and think of every little thing that I'll possibly need during my one month stay there. It has been very tricky trying to determine how much I will need of everything and if something is even worth bringing if I won't use it almost every day. 

I've been told that there will be a little shop (duka) a short walk away from the camp I'll be staying at. But who knows what exactly it is that the shop carries or how much it will  have in stock. I am not, usually, inclined to leaving things up to chance. So I depart for Tanzania carrying a mini pharmacy, grocery store, and restaurant within my suitcases. 

Kwaheri and 31 more days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment